Monday, May 23, 2011

Accomplishment

So I was asked what my greatest accomplishment was and I could not answer. I have spent the weekend wondering what I have done that could be elevated to the level of "Greatest Accomplishment."   Why is this bothering me so much?  It was a silly question from a forum I participate in.  Yet I have been left wondering why I can't answer this one question.  I must have accomplished something at least remotely great in my 38 years of life, I can't think of a single thing. 

My kids are not my greatest accomplishment because I am not done raising them.  I don't have a career.  I have played background fiddle my whole life, making everyone else shine.  I am support staff.  As for accomplishing anything great... Well I just don't see it.

So what is an accomplishment?  What level of thing must you do for it to be the greatest of all in your life?

I know people who have accomplished great things.  Getting a college degree is a great thing.  Overcoming great odds and loosing 100+lbs is a great thing.  Running a triathlon is a great thing. I have seen people overcome devastating illnesses, pay off their debt and survive in the face of extreme adversity.  Great things one and all!  

Now if it were cool factor I could find stuff.  I was an Associate Director (1st AD) for a zombie movie, no one has ever seen.  I sang on stage when I was young.  I have given birth twice and had a part in raising a child with special needs.  None of this is a great accomplishment but all very cool things in which I have been lucky to have played my part. 

Maybe I will never see my own greatest accomplishment.  I am not sure that is a bad thing, but it does make me a bit sad.  Everyone hopes to pass down something great to their children. It will have to be enough for me to know that I made them feel safe and loved. Enough that I made the people around me better for being in their lives.  None of this may ever raise my accomplishments to the level of great, somehow that will have to be enough. 







 




2 comments:

  1. This is a great posting! I think sometimes we are placed in a position to help others achieve THEIR greatness.. our pupose. We may not be the one writing in the sand but may be propelling someone else to leave THEIR name in the sand. We never really know the magnitude to which we affect others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen that zombie movie! :)

    ReplyDelete