Friday, January 28, 2011

A re-commitment upon the reawakening

I have been my own worst enemy when it comes to doing my rituals.  I believe being solitary has not been a great decision in the past; however, be that as it may, I have made a re-commitment to myself to get back on the wagon and bring this part of my life to the forefront.

I am currently planning my menu for Imbolc and setting aside time for my ritual.  This is a time for new beginnings for my family so this could not have been better timing.

Tony is starting a new job, Brittany a new semester, and Caleb a new grade (5) I have a renewed commitment to my faith and my weight loss.  I am eager to begin again with the awaking of the earth from her cold winter slumber.    

Imbolc, (pronounced "IM-bulk" or "EM-bowlk"), also called Oimealg, ("IM-mol'g), by the Druids, is the festival of the lactating sheep. It is derived from the Gaelic word "oimelc" which means "ewes milk". Herd animals have either given birth to the first offspring of the year or their wombs are swollen and the milk of life is flowing into their teats and udders. It is the time of Blessing of the seeds and consecration of agricultural tools. It marks the center point of the dark half of the year. It is the festival of the Maiden, for from this day to March 21st, it is her season to prepare for growth and renewal. Brighid's snake emerges from the womb of the Earth Mother to test the weather, (the origin of Ground Hog Day), and in many places the first Crocus flowers began to spring forth from the frozen earth. 

The brightest blessings of Imbolc to you and yours!

1 comment:

  1. Namaste my sister Heather. Good luck with your path to a better world. I would like to invite you to follow my blog so that we may share your views.

    In Lak' ech, love is all there is...

    ReplyDelete